What Cost of Living Support Available?
The cost-of-living crisis is having a disproportionate impact on disabled people. We have produced this webpage to provide helpful information and links to further support.
Help with your energy bills:
- Reduce your bills – schemes and grants | Ofgem
- Find Your Local Authority: This is a website that allows you to find which local authority you live in. All you need is your postcode or to select your local authority from a drop-down menu.
- Money Saving Expert: Energy tips to counter the cost of soaring gas and electricity bills.
Other support available
- Food banks
Food banks are community organisations that can help if you can’t afford the food you need.
You can find your local food bank by typing your postcode into a search provided by The Trussell Trust here.
- Warm banks
A warm bank, or a warm space, is a safe place with heating. They are dedicated to helping those who cannot afford to put their heating on at home stay warm this winter. This is a virtual map provided by Warm Welcome where you can find warm banks in your area.
The cost-of-living crisis is already taking a huge toll on mental health. Mind, a mental health charity, provide information on support available to you here.
Webinars and Factsheets
- Events/webinars: If you would like to attend one of our webinars on different areas affected by the cost-of-living crisis, such as warm banks and your rights in the workplace, you can sign up to attend one. Visit our Eventbrite page to see what’s coming up.
- Factsheets: Disability Wales has produced some factsheets which includes key information about where to get support during the cost-of-living crisis. You can find the factsheets produced here or download them at the bottom of this page..
- Know Your Rights pack: The Know Your Rights pack was produced by Disability Wales prior to the cost-of-living crisis, but still contains valuable information about your rights as a disabled person.
- Local Authorities: Disability Wales has produced factsheets to help link you to your local authority. Each local authority will have specific information for your area and what support they provide.
We are conducting research to show the Welsh Government what disabled people living in Wales have experienced during the cost-of-living crisis. Here you will find ways to engage with the research and materials created as a result of our findings..
- Survey: This is a link to our survey on disabled people’s experiences during the cost-of-living crisis. You can find this survey in English, English plain text, Welsh, Welsh plain text and English language Easy Read.
Links to Further Support and Information:
There are many websites and organisations providing information on cost-of-living matters including: rent arrears, debt and gambling, borrowing money, pensions and more.
- Citizens Advice has general information on a wide variety of topics related to the impact of the cost-of-living crisis.
- Find Your Local Authority. This is a website that allows you to find which local authority you live in. All you need is your postcode or to select your local authority from a drop-down menu.
- Get Help with the Cost of Living (Welsh Government) This is a source of information provided by the Welsh Government on cost-of-living support available in Wales.
- Help for Households. This is a UK-wide source of information on support available to help you with the cost of living, provided by the UK Government.
- Public Health Wales has produced a useful webpage on Staying well during the cost-of-living crisis. It includes a list of organisations and services that can provide help with money, eating well, mental health and wellbeing support and important steps you can take to look after your health.
- Money Saving Expert https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ This is a source of information about ways to save money, dedicated to cutting your bills and fighting your corner with journalistic research, cutting-edge tools and a massive community – all focused on finding deals, saving cash and campaigning for financial justice.
- Turn2Us Cost of Living Support – Extra help for disabled people. This is a disability-specific source of information on support available for the cost-of-living crisis, that covers the whole UK.