Be Someone Who Speaks up for Disability Rights
Posted on: September 8 2016
Right now, you can have an impact on the state of the UK’s disability rights. Our online survey has just become available for you to complete, and your views will go in our report to the UN on how well the UK Government is upholding disabled people’s rights. If we don’t get your input, the UN report won’t pressure the Government into action. That means it’s vital that you get involved, and if you do, you’ll be one of the people who cared enough to make a difference.
The areas being looked at are:
- Equality and non-discrimination;
- Treatment of disabled women;
- Treatment of disabled children;
- Awareness raising;
- Right to life;
- Access to justice;
- Freedom from torture or degrading treatment;
- Freedom from violence and exploitation;
- Living independently and being included in the community;
- Personal mobility;
- Access to information;
- Respect for privacy and for home and family;
- Inclusive education;
- Work and employment;
- Adequate standard of living;
- Participation in public life;
- Participation in culture, leisure and sport.
With each of these subjects, we want to know your views on what the Government is doing for disabled people, and how well they’re implementing it. Also, we’re interested in what experiences disabled people have of the above areas.
Once collated, your opinions will go into our report. Drawn up together by Disability Wales and Disability Rights UK, it will be submitted to the 2017 United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The committee will then recommend to the UK Government how it can improve the state of things for disabled people.
Just 3 Simple Questions:
After filling out a short personal details section, there are only 3 questions for you to complete:
- What are the priority issues that you believe should be included in our report to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities?
- Why do you consider these to be priorities and what evidence can you provide to show that there is or could be an adverse impact on the rights of persons with disabilities?
- Do the issues raised fall within the Powers of the Welsh Government?
(Note: this page provides a guide on which matters have been devolved).
If you want to provide extra evidence, please send it to email@example.com. You may also wish to attend our three forums, which are free to join, but as spaces are running out, if you do want to come, please book soon.
Take the Survey
The link to the survey is here: http://bit.ly/2coON8N. Please fill it out as soon as possible, and be one of the people who cared enough about disability rights to stand up for them.